Pinterest

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Brussels Sprouts and Fried Green Tomatoes

I've never had brussels sprouts until yesterday, and I thought they were out of this world good.  Delish!!

Brussels Sprouts


And one little bit of information, brussels sprouts should always have an S on the end (brussels sprouts, not brussel sprouts). 


The brussels sprouts and recipe came from the Berlage farm.

The Silver Spoon
1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup blanches almonds
1 garlic clove
Thinly pared rind of one lemon, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Cook brussel sprouts in salted boiling water for 5 minutes,
then drain thoroughly. Place on serving dish and
keep warm. Heat half the butter in a skillet, add almonds
and garlic and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add
lemon rind, season with salt and pepper, and remove
from heat. Remove and discard garlic. Melt remaining
butter in a small pan and stir-fry the bread crumbs until
golden, then stir into the almond mixture. Spoon this
over the brussel sprouts and serve.

I used only 1 tablespoon of butter and walnuts, and it was super-delicious.   I'm already looking forward to next years sprouts



Fried Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes were staring me in the face, so I decided to try my friend Sooz's Fried Green Tomato recipe.

Fried Green Tomatoes
11/2 pounds green tomatoes cored and sliced
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 cups oil

Place tomatoes on paper towel and let sit for 20 minutes, pat dry.  Combine dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl whisk in buttermilk and egg.  Dip tomato in buttermilk and then cornmeal.  Fry tomatoes in oil about 3 minutes per side. 



I also made my last batch of fresh salsa yesterday.  Oh fresh salsa, how we will ALL miss you.

Fresh Salsa
My whole family LOVES this salsa - from the end of July until October you can find this in our fridge, or on our counter.

FRESH SALSA

5 fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro
1 onion
5 cloves of garlic (we're garlic freaks)
1 packet of salsa seasoning mix


Yum-O!!





Look at these wonderful squash!!!  But, I need recipes.  Please let me know if you have a good squash recipe....I need a couple.

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment