Pinterest

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Asparagus - In Season

Asparagus is finally in season - last year we were eating asparagus in early May but this year because of the late Spring our fun has just begun!

Last year - I made lots of asparagus soup, and asparagus egg bakes (asparagus recipes) but this year I'm trying to keep everything simple.  Everybody LOVES grilled asparagus so every night I've been grilling it up (place on a grilling pan, drizzle with olive oil and salt and grill until tender).  Delicious!

Asparagus On the Grill


Today I also pickled asparagus for the first time.  In years past, I've tried freezing asparagus but it was never edible (mushy).  This is a delicious way to preserve your asparagus!  Our first jar of pickled asparagus is already gone.

Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

4 pint canning jars
3 pounds of asparagus
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice

4 cloves of garlic
4 sprigs of dill
12 jalepeno's
dash cayenne pepper

Blanch asparagus (boiling water for 2 minutes then a cold water bath to stop the cooking). 

Add one clove of garlic, 1 sprig of dill, 3 jalepeno's and a dash of cayenne pepper to each jar.
Add asparagus to each jar tips to the top.

Boil vinegar, water pickling salt, and pickling spice.  Add this brine to the top of the jars.  If you do not have enough brine, add water to the top.

Use a hot water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Delicious!!!


Pickled Asparagus

I haven't been blogging much because my new garden project is just about killing me.  We started with a $500 budget with a goal of being done by Memorial Day.  Here it is June 1st, we've already spent $750 but we are closer to our goal.  Here's a picture of the work in progress:

Putting in the posts for the fence

We planted our seeds about a month ago and they are anxious to get in the ground!

Planting Seeds
But the good news is that I did get my new asparagus roots in the ground early.  In the meantime I stock up from Bashaw Valley in Shell Lake every time I drive past! 

What do you like to make with your asparagus?  And aren't the lilacs GLORIOUS this year!!  I am obsessed with the sight and smell of lilacs.

Spring has finally sprung!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment