Pinterest

Friday, July 8, 2011

Strawberries!!

Don't walk, but RUN to get the ingredients for this next recipe.  I was picking strawberries at my friend Heather Harrington's strawberry patch (Mary's Sunday Morning Orchard) when she told me about a recipe to use with my greens and strawberries.  Now, this recipe is so good that I licked the bowl (literally) and my kids were BEGGING me for seconds of the salad. 


Heather's Strawberry Salad


Dressing:
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp. Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Poppy seeds
Mix and drizzle over salad right before serving

Salad:
Spinach and romaine lettuce, strawberries, cashews, and thinly sliced sweet onion

Combine and enjoy!  As the week went on and I ran out of cashews, I substituted the cashews for walnuts and it was equally as good.

The next salad is a take on my Grandma Evelyn's famous angel food cake desserts.


Grandma Evelyn's Fourth of July Salad (in her bowl)
Recipe:

1 box white chocolate pudding
1 angel food cake
1 tub of cool whip
Strawberries / Blueberries

Make the pudding.
Layer angel food cake, pudding, berries three times.
Top with cool whip and add berries before serving.


Wild Rice and Strawberry Salad

Yes, we enjoyed the recipe, but it's not nearly as good as Heather's Salad!



Greta and my mom making jam
Strawberry Freezer Jam

My mom, Greta and I spent a few hours working together to make freezer jam.  The strawberries were actually in my Grandma's freezer, and we knew we needed to use them up so we each took a different task and made the jam.  My grandma would've LOVED being there in the kitchen making jam with us, but somehow I think she was there in spirit.

Also, notice the Sweet Williams in the backround.  I found these at the farmer's market for a mere $3.00!

Next up:  Strawberry Desserts

The Osseo strawberry recipe of choice seems to be the delicious Strawberry Shortcake.  When I was growing up I remember eating strawberry shortcake day after day until I couldn't stand it another day.  This year I only ate it once, and you guessed it - I was in Osseo!!  Yum, yum - I could use a piece right now.


Strawberry Shortcake - Osseo Style

To celebrate Fourth of July, we like to make a festive cake.  This is usually a stand-by for us, because it's super quick, good, and festive.


Fourth of July Strawberry Cake

1 Cake Mix
1 Tub of Cool Whip
Strawberries and Blueberries

Make the cake and let cool.  Add the tub of cool whip and decorate with strawberries and blueberries.  We enjoyed our cake on our screened in porch before the boys gave us a fireworks show to remember!


Strawberry Ice Cream

This picture is taken in my Grandma Evelyn's hutch (more on that later) and in her sundae dishes.  I'm so lucky to have inherited so many items that remind me of her EVERY day.

Of course this was delicious, but equally delicious and FAR easier - strawberry sundae!



Greta's Sundae (notice her blankie)
 I just scooped up some ice cream into my Grandma's sundae dish, smashed some berries, and topped with a little whip cream.


Yogurt Parfait

While strawberries are in season, we eat them EVERY day for breakfast.  We've had yogurt parfait (I used yogurt, strawberries, and Kashi's Go Lean Crunch), strawberry oatmeal, or strawberries and milk.




 My mom and I sat outside one evening and enjoyed this New Age red summer wine with strawberries.  I LOVED this wine.


Strawberry Picnic in Duluth - notice the Peonies in the back!!


Not only have I been picking berries, cooking with berries, working, taking care of the kids, etc.  I've also been restoring my Grandma Evelyn's old hutch and painting Greta's room.  It looks pretty good, but don't get too close (lol).



Grandma's Hutch


And, this is what happens when I'm trying to re-finish a hutch and paint a room:



Strawberries are on the TOP 10 LIST of foods you should eat organic, because you can't peel the skin so the chemicals consume (poison) the berry .  Also, if you take a taste test between an organic berry and a non-organic berry you will not believe the difference.  I try to buy organic as much as possible, but I ALWAYS stick to the TOP 10 LIST.  Around the Hayward area, I found 3 organic berry patches and the prices ranged anywhere from $6.00 per ice cream pail, to $27.00. 

Next week I will be in New York City and then off to Washington D.C. so I plan on reviewing my ethnic dishes versus seasonal dishes.  I'm looking forward to getting away! 

Happy Summer!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! My favorite photo is the last one. I'm so glad you have Grandma's dishes. I like seeing them on your blog. Makes me happy too. Have fun in NY!!

    ReplyDelete