Pinterest

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Eats in the East

The purpose of my blog is to focus on eating locally, seasonally available foods, but this last week I was on vacation, so I will only be blogging about my delicious eats in the East.  As I am putting this together, I am getting so hungry!!


To start with, I had the most wonderful tomato, basil, mozzarella salad drizzled with olive oil.  How beautiful, simple and delicious.  Once my tomatoes are in season I am going to try and make it. 

Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella Cheese, Olive Oil Salad

This all took place on the day we saw Marc Cohn ("Walking in Memphis" / "True Companion"

He still sounds pretty good!



Marc Cohn - "Walking In Memphis"

Chris Rock


The next day, my long-time friend Susanne and I went to see Chris Rock on Broadway, and afterwards we were lucky enough to see the actors.  Before the show though, we enjoyed a loved lemongrass mojito.  Basically, it's like the yummy mint mojitos, only with fresh lemongrass.  It was so delicious!







Lemongrass Mojito's in NYC



After the show, we sat outside and enjoyed the most delicious Thai food ever!  And, it was cheap (even better). 


Vegetable Curry


The next day we went to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.  Now, this is where I had the MOST memorable meal of the trip:  WATERMELON SOUP!   I'm going to try and make this later in the summer.  The soup was very refreshing and also had a little spice to it.  Yum.   It was really hot (close to 100 degrees) and we still sat outside and enjoyed a FANTASTIC meal. 




Watermelon Soup



To be honest, I enjoyed my meal outside on the 7th floor of the MOMA more than the art work.  I've never seen the MOMA so packed with people, and it was hard to move around.  The meal more than made up for it.  Here we are enjoying some "artful" food.


Outdoor Terrace - MOMA


Finally, my trip to New York is not complete until I enjoy some cheesecake purchase at Grand Central Station and eaten on the train.  It's tradition.





The next morning before I caught the train to DC, I enjoyed this awesome NY bagel by Penn Station and watched the people go by.....man I love NY bagels.



 Thanks to my friend Susanne for a great visit.  We've been friends for close to 30 years....wow!

Next up was my trip to Washington D.C.  LOVE this city.  One of the many differences between NYC and DC is the food prices.  NYC - generally reasonable or cheap, DC  - expensive.  When I go to DC I love to eat at Union Station as I get off the train.  They have one of the best food courts in the world.  I nearly FROZE to death on the over-conditioned train ride from NYC to DC, so I sat outside and enjoyed some Indian sliders (basically beans, curry, onion, cilantro on a bun.)  Simple but very delish!







For supper that night I had the second most memorable meal at a fun, hip Cuban restaurant.  Great place!  I had pumpkin ravioli and it was truly divine.



Pumpkin Ravioli

Of course, when you're in DC you have to go to Capitol City Brewing.  I had a great black bean burger!! 



Black Bean Burger

The next morning I was walking around, looking for a DC bagel, but all I could find was the famous Velvet Cupcakes.  The cupcake I had was teeny, but I was STUFFED afterwards, so they must be full of something good.



Velvet Cupcake


That night we ate at a great Mexican place (Mexicali Rose) where they make the guacamole right at your table.   I also visited this place the last time I was in DC, and highly recommend it.   Great outdoor seating right by the Verizon Center too.  The Dalia Lama was in DC that day, and there were 25,000 Buddhists attending his presentation.


Guacamole


After a rally at the Capitol for Civil Rights (Disability Rights), we were on Capitol Hill to meet with Congressmen Sean Duffy.




After our busy morning, we celebrated by enjoying some awesome Thai food (again).  I love Thai food.


Vegetable Curry and Tofu

Graham was at Boy Scout camp, and Gus and Greta were at Grandparents Camp.  I missed them so much, but I think we needed the little break.

Sunday I went on a steamy 50 mile bike ride, and that night a tree fell on our house.   Today I'm spending my day off waiting for someone to come and tear off our roof, dry the carpets, etc.  I'm more bummed about losing my day off because we had another fabulous day in Duluth planned.  Such is life!!


Tree on our house


Yes, 4 days later and the tree is still on top of our house.  Ugh!!!!
At least I have fresh picked cabbage, raspberries, and blueberries in the house.  And in 3 days I will be at a U2 concert with my awesome cousin Erinn!!  Woohooo.

Until next week,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment