Pinterest

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blueberries, Watermelon and Cabbage In Season

Despite the fact that my house has been completely ripped up because of the tree that landed on our roof, I've had a pretty fantastic week.    My kitchen is still in tact and I was able to try a few new recipes and best of all, I saw U2 in concert on Saturday.  I've been on a natural high ever since. 

The first blueberry recipe I received from my running friend Stacey Raymond.  For some reason, when we are running our discussions usually turn to food.  Well, I'm so glad this recipe came up because it is now one of my all time favorites.  The watermelons are not in season up north quite yet, but a farmer from Rochester has set-up a watermelon stand in Hayward. 

Stacey's Watermelon Blueberry Salad

Stacey's Watermelon Blueberry Salad
Bring 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 of water to a simmer in a saucepan.
Remove from heat, add 3 mint sprigs and steep for 10 minutes.
Discard mint and add zest and juice from 1 lemon and a pinch of salt.
Toss with 3 cups of cubed watermelon and 2 cups of blueberries.
Let stand 15 minutes. Top with chopped mint.
Hmmm, Hmmm, good!
On Friday, I decided to try a blueberry coffee cake to bring to some friends.  My kids were gone, so not only was I lonely baking the (they always cook with me), but then I had no one to sample and critique (Chad doesn't eat anything sweet usually).   Luckily, I found some friends who were happy to oblige, and I received a good review.  The coffee cake was very moist, and stayed that way for 3 days.
Blueberry Coffee Cake

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries


ICING:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3-5 tsp. milk

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 375. Grease a 13x9 inch pan. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon peel. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter. Add milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir well. Pour 3/4 batter into greased pan.

Top with blueberries. Spoon remaining batter over blueberries. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. In small bowl , blend icing ingredients. Drizzle over warm cake.
Last night in-between work, football camp, a baseball tourney, and an over-night for one of the kids, I made blueberry pancakes (while talking on the phone).  While I think I could've done better had I been more focused, it still turned out great. 
Blueberry Pancakes



 Click on the link above for the sauce for the blueberry pancakes.  So, obviously we used the sauce instead of syrup, and we can also use it on our ice cream or yogurt.

Before the U2 concert I made the most delicious, refreshing (if I do say so myself), Watermelon Salsa.    I can not WAIT to make this again.   We ate this at my awesome-cousin-Erinn's house on my beloved-Grandma-Evelyn's old kitchen table. 


Watermelon Salsa

Ingredients

  • 3 cups chopped watermelon
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Mix and Enjoy!!

Last but not least, I made the most fabulous coleslaw that I've ever, ever tasted.  I received the recipe from Northstar Farms (the Berlage family).  I actually cut the recipe in 1/2 because I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I was sorry I did because it was gone almost instantly.


Berlage Crunchy Cabbage




2/3 cup slivered almonds
8 cups coarsely shredded Chinese cabbage
12 oz. snow, snap, or shelled peas
1 1/3 cup sliced radishes
1 1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
Place almonds in a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees
until golden and toasted, shaking the pan once while
baking—should take 6 to 9 minutes. In a large bowl,
combine cabbage, peas, radishes, green onions, and cilantro.
Add dressing and almonds to the bowl and mix
gently. Enjoy right away or store it in the refrigerator.


So, I exchanged the almonds for walnuts (that's all I had) and did not have shelled pea's (my son Gus eats them right up before I can get them to the fridge).
We've gone through 10 pounds of blueberries, but as soon as my friend Heather Harrington's next batch of blueberries ripen up, we plan to go picking again.  In another words, expect another blueberry blog. 
One more bit of exciting news:  our garden is starting to produce.  This is our first garden, so it's a big deal!  We've been picking green beans, cucumbers, and we had our first red tomato. 
Life is good!
Kristin
Denise, me, and Cousin Erinn at Psycho Suzie's Before U2

Crunchy Chinese Cabbage Slaw

1 comment:

  1. I really don't know how you have the time. That watermelon salsa WAS awesome and now I can always have the recipe. When I opened your page, Mia said, "DUS!" (Gus) and then when I scrolled down she could see the top of our picture and she kept yelling, "Niece! Niece!" until I scrolled down far enough for her to see us. We're working on your name. Right now it's, "Shishin."

    ReplyDelete