Pinterest

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rhubarb Continued!!

My dear friend Kristie Weber (aka Swell Gal Products) shared some of her rhubarb with me so I could try a few more recipes.  She also reminded me that I forgot to add my rhubarb salsa to my first rhubarb blog, so I'll start with that recipe.

Rhubarb Salsa



The salsa was very good, but I make a killer salsa (if I do say so myself) with tomatoes and it just doesn't compare.  I would make this again though.


Rhubarb Oatmeal

I actually cut this recipe in half and we still had plenty of leftovers.  The cool thing about this recipe is that you can substitute the rhubarb for whatever is in season.  Next week I'm going to try it with strawberries.

When Gus woke up this morning and asked "what's for breakfast?" I said, rhubarb oatmeal.  He said, "when are you going to stop cooking with rhubarb mom?  You have stop picking the stuff because we are sick of eating it."  This is the exact look on his face as he was scolding me.

Gus is not happy with rhubarb oatmeal for breakfast!
My husband claimed "my mother's rhubarb cake is the best", so of course I had to try it.  Too bad he was in Canada so he didn't get a piece.  He's right though, it's pretty delicious cake!
Bonnie Frane's Rhubarb Cake

Here's the recipe:

1/2 Cup Shortening, 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar - cream
1 Egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour milk (I let the milk sit out overnight)
2 cups flour
1/2 ts. salt
2 1/2 cups rhubarb

Topping:  1/2 cup white sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle on top

BAKE - 350 for 45 minutes


We are down to our last 2 cups of rhubarb (Gus is happy), so I plan on making the rhubarb bread recipe from my first rhubarb blog and freezing it.  We are rhubarbed out.

The peonies have finally bloomed by us.  They are one of my favorite flowers.



Happy Fourth of July!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment