Pinterest

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One Tomato Recipe and My Flowers (Random Post)

My favorite tomato recipe is this simple Caprese Salad that I've been eating every single day for about a month - sometimes I even eat it for breakfast.

Caprese Salad

3 tomatoes or 8 ounces of cherry tomatoes
8 ounces of mozzarella (I make my own, but will blog about that later)
3 tablespoons of basil
3 tablespoons olive oil (give or take)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut tomatoes into bite size pieces, add diced mozzarella, basil, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Delicious!!!



Caprese Salad in my Grandmother's Bowl

Our flowers this year have been off the charts - just amazing!  When we've had company over they are amazed that we can keep our flowers so vibrant still in mid-August.   What's the secret?  We water all the flowers every. single. day without exception.  Once a week we use miracle grow (but we don't use this in our garden or on our herbs) AND if they look like they might be experiencing some distress, we take them down and put them in "the hospital".   In the hospital they have a few days of shade, some pruning, and some extra love (I got this idea from my mom).  Usually a plant will experience this once a year.  Here's just one of our 6 hanging baskets.


Hanging Basket - 4 feet 3 inches long
Graham had to measure because he didn't believe that it was 4 feet long.

For the longest time I've had an obsession with window boxes.  I used to stop whenever I would see a window box and snap a quick picture.  At one time I had dreams of doing a book of photos of only window boxes - maybe I still will.

Throughout the years we've had all sorts of combinations in the window boxes, but this year I kept it simple with strictly wave petunia.



One of our window boxes - 2012
They are draping down to the ground - about 6 feet


We had the best weekend at my Aunt Paula's and Uncle Rick's and spending time with my cousin Erinn and her family.  I got to try paddle boarding which I absolutely LOVED! 

Paddle Boarding in Manitowish Waters


I LOVE gazpacho soup but I have yet to find a good recipe.  If you have one, please, please, please let me know.

Happy Cooking,

Kristin



No comments:

Post a Comment