Pinterest

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Quinoa Love

Quinoa is one of the best kept secrets around.  Quinoa is a substitute for rice in our household but unlike rice, quinoa is a complete protein, full of fiber, gluten-free, rich in antioxidants and tastes GREAT!  Even my kids likes quinoa.   Here's an article listing all the benefits of eating quinoa:  Crazy, Amazing Benefits of Quinoa

While working on this blog, I've been eating quinoa for 3 meals a day and I've noticed that I'm not walking around hungry.  Normally I'm hungry every 3 1/2 hours, but while on the quinoa diet I'm hungry every 6 plus hours.  Dang, that's good.  One cup of quinoa has 172 calories, but because of the protein you feel FULL.  And, for me that's a good thing.


Quinoa:

Boil 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water.  Once it boils, cover and simmer until quinoa pops (the seed pops out into a tiny curly cue), about 7 minutes, or when the liquid is absorbed.  Because of my hot gas stove, it doesn't seem to take long.  If I overcook it or it gets dry, I'll add some liquid broth to moisten it back up. 

One cup of dry quinoa made enough to make all the recipes in this blog.  Yup, it makes a lot.


Quinoa Rocks



This is my easy peasy go-to recipe when I want something quick, yummy and healthy.  Of course it's only quick if you happen to have cooked quinoa in the fridge.

Quinoa Fried Rice

4 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 cup cauliflower
1 cup quionoa
2 eggs
1 T rosemary
Salt and pepper

Saute garlic and onion for a few minutes and then add veggies to pan (sometimes I steam veggies depending on my mood).  Once veggies are soft, add 1 cup of quionoa, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Add 2 eggs and stir until the egg is done and mixed in.  This is my favorite Friday lunch.  Not only is it easy and delicious, it's super healthy and full of fiber and protein (20 grams).  Delish! 


Quinoa Fried Rice



Here's a recipe for Quinoa Tomato Basil that I love:  Quinoa Tomato Feta Basil   And, this entire blog is dedicated to quinoa (how cool is that?).

Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad in my Grandma Evelyn's Bowl


These Quinoa Fritters are out of this world.   They remind me of the delicious Zucchini Fritters I made this summer when I was trying to use up my zucchini.  Mmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, good.  They are also awesome as a cold snack.   I made a small batch because I'm trying to lose weight....less junk in the trunk will hopefully make it easier to finish the Birkebeiner in 3 weeks (yes, I'm a little scared).

Quinoa Cakes

Garlic
Onion
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 egg
2 T flour
2 T Parmigiana Regiono Cheese
Salt Pepper

Saute garlic and onion.  Mix the rest of the ingredients.   Add about 3 - 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan.  Add 4 patties to a hot pan.  Flip once brown (about 4-5 minutes).  Serve with an egg on top....or not. 



Quinoa Fritters on my Grandma Evelyn's Dishes


And life is too short to skip to dessert, right?    I tried these Quinoa Peanut Butter Cookies and they are outrageously good and I'd advise you not to try the dough....it's the best dough ever.  Yummo.  Here's the recipe:  Quinoa Peanut Butter Cookies
The cookies consist of only 4 ingredients, and because they are so full of fiber and protein you feel full after one (plus they are 220 calories each). 

Bob's Old Mill makes a good organic quinoa (available even at Walmart), but if you live local I would highly recommend the quinoa at Northern Lakes Co-op in their organic bulk section (by the front registers).  Non-organic quinoa is poison, and I would avoid it if at all possible.

I'm pretty sure I could go on and on about quinoa, but I better put this blog to bed before I burn myself out on this mother-grain of all mother-grains.  In about a month, I'll blog about some new quinoa recipes.  Actually, I thought I'd be blogging about a Packer Super Bowl party, but such is life! 

Think snow!!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment