Pinterest

Monday, February 20, 2012

Green Algae, Hemp, Cha-cha-cha-chia, and Chocolate

I'm preparing for the Birkebeiner ski challenge next week, so I've been analyzing my fuel intake to make sure I can cross the finish line in one piece.  I ran across a fascinating article in Organic Authority which listed the top 8 most nutrient dense foods in the world.    Here's the list of the best foods on the planet in order of healthiness:  spirulina, kale, hemp seeds, chocolate, broccoli, spinach, chia seeds, and berries.  Since I'll be blogging about kale, broccoli, spinach and berries when they are in season, I'll stick to the oddball foods but will still eat plenty of broccoli, spinach and berries this week.

1.   Spirulina (green algae):  Honestly, I'd never heard of this up until last week, but since it's considered the number one most nutrient dense food in the world, I had to try it!   Spirulina is basically green algae full of protein, omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals but much to my surprise I've been drinking it weekly in my green slime kombucha (I'm a kombucha junky, but more on that in a later blog).  I also purchased some spirulina energy bars from the health food store (good), and I bought the spirulina powder to sprinkle on my peanut butter toast, stir fry, smoothies and tea.  I discovered that spirulina sprinkled in my tea works best and since I drink 2 cups a day, it's an easy way for me to add in my teaspoon a day.  The woman at the health food store told me she thought it was disgusting, but I like it.   If you come to visit me, chances are you are going to have this wonder food sprinkled in your food.  I hope you don't notice or mind.  One teaspoon of spirulina a day has more antioxidants than 6 to 8 servings of vegetables, so I guess I found a new staple in my diet.  Here I added it to my stir fry:


Green Algae Stir Fry




2.  Hemp Seeds:  Hemp seeds are considered one of the most nutritiously complete foods on the planet full of protein, antioxidants and omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.  I sprinkle flax seed on my breakfast every day, but since this is even more complete than flax seed, I'm switching to hemp seeds.   I also had a hemp seed bread this week for lunch that was to die for!  Yummily :)  But, mainly I've been adding it to my breakfasts.  The hemp seeds are hard to find (the 4 grocery stores in Hayward did not carry them), but I found them at the Rice Lake Health Food store.


Hemp Seed Breakfast


HEMP SEED BREAKFAST:

In a crockpot add:
1 cup quinoa
3 cups water
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours (overnight)

Add:
1 Tablespoon Hemp Seed
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds

This is a VERY tasty breakfast full of protein, fiber and the essential fatty acids.  Yum!

3. Chia Seeds:  I've been drinking chia seeds almost daily for years, because they are so good for you and have been proven to enhance athletic performance and curb your appetite.  Usually I add one tablespoon to an 8 ounce glass of water with a little steevia (yum).  But, for the past few months I've been drinking chia kombucha which has a double punch.  Chia seeds are great mixed in with about anything since they don't have any flavor, so if you don't have issues with texture (slimy seeds) you are golden.  One tablespoon of chia seeds has more omega 3 fatty acids than salmon, more fiber than oatmeal, and more antioxidants than most vegetables.  I call that one powerful seed.....cha, cha, cha chia!

Here's a delicious Chia pudding dessert:  Chia Chocolate Pudding



4.  Chocolate:   I was surprised to learn that chocolate topped the list as one of the most nutritious foods on earth, full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.   Of course Snickers and Hershey's don't count, but for the sake of this blog I've been trying all sorts of dark chocolate bars to find the best (what a tough gig).    Your chocolate bar should contain at least 60% cacao to be effective and I tried everything from 60% to 100% and all varieties.   I ended up liking Dagoba Organic 73% cacao bars.  The 100% Green and Black bar was a little too bitter for me.  What I learned about eating good chocolate every day, is that a ounce square is enough.  Each square has only 120 calories, but you get the satisfying taste of chocolate without the urge to finish every last morsel and lick the wrapper (like I would do with a Snickers).  I'm going to try and incorporate chocolate into my diet at least 3 times a week.  Geesh, I simply can not deny myself something so healthy.

And finally, I combined the 4 most nutritious foods in the world into one awesome smoothie.




Healthiest Smoothie On the Planet

1 cup Kefir (yogurt) or Soy Milk
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp spirulina
1 T hemp seeds
1 T chia
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup berries

Blend and enjoy!

Up next, everything oatmeal :)

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment