Pinterest

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quick, Easy, Healthy Breakfasts

A good start is half the battle!  I have my favorite breakfasts down to a science.
I typically leave the house at 5:30 a.m. so I make my breakfasts the night before and I have a different healthy quick breakfast for every day of the week.

Monday, I start out with home-made granola.  My friend Kristie Weber shared this recipe with me this summer, and I started making it in the Fall once I did not have access to fresh berries for breakfast daily.  This granola is soooo delicious and I stores well in glass canning jars.   We all love it.


Kristie's Granola and Me


Look at my messy kitchen.  Gus picked home-made pizza for supper that night and I was still working on the mess.  Then there's the homework on the table, iPad, camera.  Oh well!! 

Kristie Weber's Granola Recipe
3 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup nuts (I use walnuts)
1 cup shredded coconut (I skip this)
1/2 cup flax
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp. cinnamon

Bake at 325 in a jelly roll pan for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
On Tuesdays I make smoothies.  Sometimes if I'm too busy Monday night, I'll throw the ingredients for the smoothies into a glass Pyrex bowl and eat it with the spoon.  But either way, this smoothie is a great way to start off with the right amount of protein and fiber.  Yumm-o!


Fruit Smoothies

To make the smoothies, I blend 1 cup of kefir, 1 cup of berries, 1 tablespoon of flax seed, and 1 tablespoon of wheat germ.  Again, another hit in our house.


Wednesdays, I make steel cut oats in the crock pot.  I can purchase bulk organic steel cut oats at the Hayward Northern Lake Co-op.  I add 1/4 cup of steel cut oats to the crock pot and one cup of water.  I cook overnight and have some awesome steel cut oats.  It's so nice to wake up to a warm breakfast.  Some days I add an ounce of walnuts or craisins, but most of the time I just add a little milk and cinnamon.  This is one of my favorites. 


Steel Cut Oats Set before bed

Here I am in my pajama's, make-up off, getting ready for bed and making my breakfast for the morning.


Perfect Oats - Too bad I ended up dropping them


This morning my oats turned out PERFECT!  Too bad I was balancing it on my computer on the way out the door and dropped it breaking my favorite Pyrex and losing my perfect breakfast.  Oh well, thank goodness my day got better after that.

On Thursday, I will have my citrus fix for the week.  I cut up grapefruit, oranges, add some blueberries from this summers harvest along with 1 tablespoon of flax seed, and 1 tablespoon of wheat germ.  Again, delicious and I always feel great when I start out with a fruit based breakfast with some healthy omega 3 fats to boot.  If you live in the area, organic grapefruits are on sale at the Northern Lakes Co-op this week.


Citrus Blend



Fridays, I do not leave the house until a little bit later, so I make the perfect egg sandwich for the kids and me.  I poach some eggs, add cheese, to an English Muffin.  This breakfast is about 300 calories and starts one out with about 20 grams of protein.  And, it's delicious!


Egg Sandwich



Saturdays and Sundays our breakfasts vary depending on what we have going on.  But, the family loves my biscuits and gravy (which I won't eat), pancakes, omelets, eggs benedict, or nothing if we have morning plans.  My favorite breakfast cereal is Kashi Crunch.  It's one of the few cereals that is not full of processed crap. 

There you have it, my easy healthy breakfast meal plan.  Now if the rest of the meals were as simple as breakfasts!

Happy Cooking,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment