Pinterest

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Farm Fresh Eggs Here

I believe every one should be eating eggs from happy, healthy chickens.  I mean everyone.  The taste difference between a store-bought egg and a farm fresh egg is unbelievable.  A farm fresh egg has a bright, thick, delicious yoke, and a store bought egg has a runny pale yellow yoke.  Eggs straight from a real farm have more omega-3 fatty acids and are lower in cholesterol.  In my community, I can get eggs from farmers anywhere between $2 and $4, and if I buy them in the store they are around $1.79.

Eggs from Debi Defoe-Greene


These eggs I got from Debi Defoe-Greene (thanks Debi!).  One day I ran out of eggs and my usual chicken farmers were out, so I was brainstorming on where to get my next batch.  The kids listed off about 4 farmers for me to contact, but they never said, "mom, why don't you just go to the store?"  They know that eggs come from real chickens and real farmers, and I'm grateful for that!!    And by the way, I'd rather starve than eat eggs from a chicken factory, and I'm a hungry girl.  That's how strongly I feel about buying eggs from a local farmer.

I make egg sandwiches for breakfast for the family about once a week.  An egg sandwich has 300 calories and gives you a great start on your protein for the day (17 grams).


Egg Sandwich - a staple in our house


My family LOVES this next quiche recipe that I received from my mother-in-law about 20 years ago.  I'm such a good wife and mom (not really...lol), that I got up at 5 a.m. today and made it for everyone for breakfast.


Bonnie's Cheese Sausage Quiche

Greta loves quiche too

Cheese Sausage Quiche
9 inch baked pie shell
3/4 lb sausage
1/2 cup onion
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 eggs
2 T four
1 T parsley flakes
2 t. seasoning salt
1/2 garlic salt and pepper
1 cup evaporated milk

Brown sausage and onion.  Place in bottom of pie shell.  Top with cheese.  Mix remaining ingredients and pour over meat.  Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes.


And last but not least, I must admit that I make a killer omelet.  The ONLY reason I can make a killer omelet is because of this antique omelet maker I found at a thrift shop.  I'm serious.  Perfect every time.  Until I got this thing.......well, let's just say I didn't make them.

My antique omelet maker


Simple Ingredients for omelets


To make omelets, I stir eggs with a little bit of milk.  I let them cook a bit, stir, add in the cheese, and then flip the lid of the omelet pan.  They look so beautiful when they are done!!  Too bad I don't have a good picture to show you!
Kerry Rothgeb's Chicken - picture by Kerry

I LOVE chickens!  This is a picture of Kerry Rothgeb's chicken TAKEN by her too.  I just think it's an amazing picture.  I experimented with chicken farming once, but I was not successful.  Between the full-time job and the 3 kids, I had a full plate.  Then Chad was deployed to Iraq and the chickens had to go.  I learned a lot though.  Mostly, that I'm not a skilled farmer.

If you don't already, I hope you will consider buying your eggs from a local farmer.

Peace,

Kristin

P.S.  The picture of the eggs on the side of my blog this week were taken by Kerry too.  She's a great photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment