Pinterest

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Zuchinni Crust Pizza

I've tried a lot of recipes over the last month with my in-season veggies from my garden, but as I mentioned earlier - my marathon focus (story here...) prevented me from actually taking a picture and blogging.  But, one recipe that was my absolute favorite:  Zucchini Crust Pizza.

I read the book Wheat Belly over the last month and it really convinced me that I need to reduce my wheat / gluten consumption so I'm always looking for gluten free recipes and this one fit the bill.  I tweaked it to fit the ingredients I had on hand.

Here it goes:

Ingredients
  • 2 cups zucchini, finely grated, lightly packed
  • ½-3/4 cup rice flour (or regular flour)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (or vegetable)
  • ½ teaspoon oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt

Instructions
  1. Place the grated zucchini in a strainer.
  2. Sprinkle the zucchini with some salt, toss it to disperse.
  3. Place the strainer over a large bowl, and let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  5. Place the grated zucchini into a dry dish towel, and wring the towel over the sink until the water from the zucchini is squeezed out.
  6. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
  7. Add flour as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
  8. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the zucchini mix out into an oval shape. I use a fork to do this, and I press it down to compact it as well.
  9. Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
  1. Remove the crust.
  2. Turn the oven up to 500 degrees.
  3. Top the pizza with sauce and cheese, vegetables (I used artichokes and olives)
  4. Place the pan back into the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 3-4 minutes. Again, place the pan on the top rack for about 2 minutes.
  5. Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let everything set.

Zucchini Crust Pizza - baked on my Grandma's pan


This picture does not do this recipe justice but I have to tell you we LOVED it!!!  And, it's a good way to get rid of that extra zucchini.

Happy Saturday!
Kristin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment