Pinterest

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Great Aunt Helen's May Basket Jelly Roll

My Great Aunt Helen, who started the Norske Nook in Osseo, gave me a recipe many years ago for a May Basket Jelly Roll.   I was invited to a potluck affair this weekend, found the recipe and decided to whip it up since I had the ingredients and I did not want to go to the store.  Not only was it super simple, quick, cheap and delicious - but it was also very pretty.  This week I plan on making a few more so the kids can do a surprise "May Day" drop-off but I plan on trying poppyseed and lemon next.

Here's the recipe:

May Day Jelly Roll

4 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
7 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
Enough powdered sugar to lightly cover a small dish towel

1.  Preheat the oven to 375.  In a large bowl bet the eggs until thick, then gradually beat in the sugar.

2.  Beat in the water and the vanilla all at once.  Then add the flour, baking powder, and salt at once and beat just until smooth.

3.  Prepare the jelly roll pan by lining the sides and bottom with wax paper.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

4.  Cover the dish towel with powdered sugar and flow the jelly roll from the cookie sheet upside down onto the towel.  Peel off the wax paper, spread the cake with jelly (I used strawberry jam I made last year), and rolled it up.    Slice and serve.


May Basket Jelly Roll




May Basket Jelly Roll - Beautiful Once Sliced

And we are still skiing in Northern Wisconsin.  Greta got in another kilometer on the Birkie Trail yesterday.

Greta out for a ski 4/27 - through the mud puddles and all!

Oh, I am so happy with the recent shift in weather.  I'm finally blogging, reading, and putting together puzzles, outside in the screened in porch where I feel most at home.  And best of all I finally got out running and on my road bike.  Wooohooo!

Thanks for reading and Happy May Day (Wednesday)!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment