Pinterest

Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I love almost any holiday - especially St. Patrick's Day even though I'm full-blooded Norwegian.  Every day this week I've worn something green and this we're eating only green foods.  In addition to the recipes below, I've been drinking green kombucha daily, and I made some nummy kale chips (roast kale with olive oil and salt and pepper for 20 minutes).

One night we had Cabbage Rolls. Delish!  I love cabbage, and this was just divine! 


Cabbage Rolls

CABBAGE ROLLS

1 cabbage - peeled and blanched
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1 can of lentils
1/2 onion
3 garlic cloves
Tomato Sauce, salt, pepper, oregano

Saute onion and garlic.  Add lentils and stir until warm, add brown rice and turmeric.  If rice seems dry, add vegetable broth (I always have a box in the fridge).    Add 2 tablespoon of mixture per cabbage leave.  Roll up thick side and add to a pan.  Cover with tomato sauce.  Sprinkle salt, pepper and oregano on top.  Yum!



We also made a yummy green jello salad which of course was a HUGE hit with the kiddo's.  Gus made it, and he had the hardest time waiting for it to set up.  Poor kid. 

St. Patrick's Day Salad in my Grandma Evelyn's Salad Bowl .  This was picture taken on Wednesday.  As of today, the snow is almost gone!


Green Jello Salad

2 packages of lime jello
1 cup of pineapple
1 tub of whip cream

Mix jello according to directions, add pineapple when semi-firm, top with whip cream.  Yum!

Next we made pistachio parfaits:


Pistachio Parfait in my Grandma's Ice Cream Dishes


Pistachio Pudding
Go Lean Crunch Cereal

Layer for absolute goodness!


Last but not least, we made Leprechaun Shakes for the kids.  Let me tell you, these were the hit!


Leprechaun Shakes in my Grandma's Bubble Dishes


Leprechaun Shakes

2 cups of ice cream
2 Tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon mint extract
2 drops of food coloring
Stir and serve with whip cream and a cherry!

I had HUGE plans for St. Patrick's Day this year, but they fell through because Greta had an infection that put her in the hospital (she's o.k. now).  Even though this blog was done on Thursday, I was unable to post it on time because our sucky internet has been down all weekend.

On the positive side, I woke up on St. Patrick's Day with a kiss on the lips from 7 year old Gus.  As he kissed me he said, "Happy St. Patrick's Day Mom" - he has a way of melting my heart.  The weather was fantastic so off and on all day I watched as the kids made leprechaun traps, searched for four leaf clovers, and talked about how they will find the pot of gold if they see a rainbow.  Instead of feeling sorry for myself for my messed up plans,  I was feeling pretty grateful to have 3 awesome kids to keep me entertained. 

What's your favorite St. Patrick's Day food?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

1 comment: