Pinterest

Friday, December 16, 2011

Winter Squash

Winter is here!    And guess what, I just discovered 10 winter squash that were laying around.  Lucky for me my friend Susan Buchman gave me some great squash recipes at the end of the growing season so I was able to try a few out!  Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm the only one at this time that will eat squash.  I guess that's a sign I over-did it a month ago. 

Susan Buchman's Winter Squash and Tomato Bisque

1 small winter squash
6 cups of diced squash
4 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t paprika
1 t cayenne
4 cups tomatoes (I used a jar of my canned tomatoes)
3 cups of broth
1 cup cream or 1/2 cup sour cream

Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.  Rub the cavities with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 425 for 20 minutes and scoop out when cooled.  Saute onions and garlic.  While cooking onions and garlic, blend squash and tomatoes.  Add to dutch oven along with the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.  Yum!!

Squash Soup


Next I made an AWESOME Squash Bake from Susan Buchman.

3 cups mashed squash or yams
Blend
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
After you blend, add squash.  Add to greased 9 x 13 pan.

Top with:  3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, 1/2 cup four/ 1/3 cup cold butter.  Mix together and put on top of squash.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes until hop and topping makes a crust.  Yum!


Squash Bake



Susan also gave me some recipes for squash pie and for home-made squash ravioli, but I've been a little busy trying to keep up with the holiday season, so the recipes will have to wait until next September!
Finally, I had some banana's that were beyond the point of normal consumption (meaning, pretty brown), so I made an easy banana bread from an old church cookbook.

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk
1 1/2 tsp soda
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp. sat
3 bananas mashed
1/2 cup nuts

Mix in order given.  Add soda to sour milk.  Mash bananas before adding to mixture.  Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.  Double yum!

Banana Bread



Tomorrow the kids and I will be doing our annual cookie baking.  Expect a blog on our Three G Cooking Baking Traditions soon!  Honestly, our baking day is all about the kids and we do not even try anything complex.  We get really messy and have fun.  Good thing Chad is out of town (just kidding Chad). 
Kristin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment