Pinterest

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fermented Foods

With all the experiments going on in my kitchen, you'd almost think I'm getting ready to host a science fair.   On the top of the fridge I have my beloved kombucha, on my counter I have 3 stages of bread fermenting, and I started my own wine (mead).    So, what's with my new obsession with fermented foods?


Sour Dough Starter in my Grandma's Bowl

Last week I read Micheal Pollan's new book called Cooked.  Quite honestly, I really did not enjoy the first half of the book but in the last half he discussed the important of fermented foods. I've mentioned before that mentally and physically I started feeling amazing the day I started my kombucha addiction.  Well, Pollan sites many sources in his book which again emphasizes the importance of those live foods.  And because of the book I became inspired to try and conquer three new fermented foods:  Country Loaf Bread, Home-made wine (Mead), and Sauerkraut.


COUNTRY LOAF BREAD

Now, I'm not going to lie this bread was a lot of work and I slaved over this bread for 10 days (making my own sour dough starter, etc.) and as of to date I have yet to fully master Pollan's multi-grain bread.  The recipe is literally 10 pages long and if you are crazy enough to attempt this recipe you can google Micheal Pollan's recipe.  For years I've been wanting to master my own whole grain bread, and I'm getting closer!

My attempt at multi-grain bread




MEAD

Making Mead could not be easier not more delicious.  Basically, you add 1 part honey to 4 parts water, cover with an air lock (or a balloon or condom will work too - seriously) and wait for 3 weeks.  Delicious, sweet low alcohol wine with lots of good bacteria for your belly, mind and spirit.




My garden is REALLy producing right now.  I just picked 50 jalapenos which I pickled.


As for the sauerkraut, I'm ready to go but I'm waiting for my cabbage harvest.

Leaving for a little summer vacation to Chicago.  Do you have a summer trip planned?

Kristin






No comments:

Post a Comment